Summer Reading is hugely important. Most families start with the best of intentions, but a few weeks into summer, once camps and vacations are in full swing, it can be easy to fall off the reading wagon.
Don’t give up! It’s never too late to pick up a book. While that’s certainly true, it’s much easier said than done when you have a child who is a reluctant reader or just not feeling motivated over the summer.
The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge can help with the motivation, especially with the fun Reading Under The Stars theme. Love that they’re linking reading and science for both double the fun and learning. Science often gets short shrift.
The Scholastic Parent Facebook page has lots of tips to encourage summer learning. Check out Scholastic’s top 10 summer reading tips for keeping kids’ noses in books and smiles on their faces:
The first and third suggestions are working the best for us this summer. My daughter is a fan of the Reading Timer App, and watching her numbers climb is keeping her going. I love that she’s seeing that a little bit each day can really add up.
I am also keeping my mouth shut about her reading choices. It isn’t easy, but it’s working. A few of her books may be a little below her reading level, but she’s really into them. I’m trying to take what Judy Bloom said about parents worrying too much about what kids read to heart. Her recent advice to kids: “I say go and read. Read what you like to read.”
It’s summer, and while I’m hoping that she picks some more challenging books, she’s reading and therefore, the mission is accomplished.
[THIS GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED]
To help you get that mission accomplished, Scholastic is offering a giveaway to one lucky Mom Factually family. It will include:
* The Magic School Bus: Lost in the Solar System book with audio CD edition
* MISSION: Mars book
* Harry Potter poster
* 2 glow-in-the-dark Reading Under the Stars bookmarks
* Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge printables
* EVEREADY flashlights (set of 2)
* EVEREADY batteries (set of 2 AA packs)
* Captain Underpants trading cards (2 sets of 12)
* Captain Underpants temporary tattoos (1 set)
* Read Every Day. Lead a Better Life tote bag (1)
* Read Every Day. Lead a Better Life wristbands (set of 2)